Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Sterling Button Company

One of my favorite necklaces is an unusual piece from the Sterling Button Company.  All I can find out about the company is that they were a part of a large button and textile company that operated from 1904 until 1997 in New York City.  The original company was, Max Turkeltaub and Sons.  Max Turkeltaub was born in 1864 and died in1969 at the age of 105!

I have only seen a few pieces of Sterling Button Company jewelry over the years but the designs are always unique.  Turkeltaub was a Russian immigrant and I can only imagine that his heritage influenced the designs since I have been unable to come up with any information about the company's jewelry.  The metals are marked with ornate stampings and designs and beautiful art glass is featured.  This is the only necklace that I have ever seen by Sterling Button Company.

2 comments:

  1. That's REAL nice. I bet it didn't come out of a box of Cracker Jacks, did it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this necklace, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete