Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Mysterious and Beautiful Stones

I, first of all, consider myself a dealer of vintage costume jewelry.  That is not to say that I don't love vintage jewelry it's just that I approach it in a way that allows me to let pieces go and bring joy to someone who also loves and appreciates the beauty and craftsmanship of vintage jewels. 

There are pieces that pain me to see go.  Some I hang on to till I'm ready to let them go and there are those that over stay their welcome.  I have decided that those that are around for a while are just waiting for a certain someone and when they go to a new home it makes sense.  Then there are pieces that mean more than beauty. 

I began selling jewelry in earnest when a friend brought me her mothers costume jewelry to sell.  I've been selling jewelry for her for years so from time to time she shows up with a box of treasures that she wants to sell.  I have had the privilege to handle many beautiful and rare pieces that belonged to her mother.  One day she showed up with the most stunning parure.  I had never seen anything like it.  The glass stones had an incredible iridescence and changed color magically in he light.  Then she told me that she wanted to give me her mothers amazing jewelry set.  I was thrilled to have it and even more thrilled that she would give me her mothers jewelry.


Now I have seen this set a few times over the years.  This is the only design that I have seen these stones used in.  None of the pieces are signed but I have seen the necklace with a Schiaparelli hang tag.  The stones are beautiful and mysterious and this is one set that I will not part with.

No comments:

Post a Comment